Friday, February 04, 2011

Busy Work vs. Eternal Work

To trust God is really pretty radical when you think about it. When we trust God, we decide to let him do his thing with us or without us. Sometimes we don't want to know what it would be like without US in the middle of our situation. But if we just pull back and watch God work it out, it turns out better than we could have imagined. We also gain more respect and trust in God when we just let Him work in our lives.

How often do we pray over something like crazy and then immediately start to fix it ourselves as soon as we're finished praying? I do it all the time. I can be praying and at the same time be making a mental list of things I can do to make the situation move like I want it to. But that's being God and I don't want to be God!

So why do we constantly have our hands in God's business? Do we really want to know who wins the 'battle of the wills' here? If it is His will that we desire, why are our hands always tied up in the 'busy work'? I believe it's fear. Fear of not getting our way, fear of not feeling important, fear of looking bad, ultimately... fear of failure.

But what if we're so caught up in making our situation work that we fail to realize it's not God's will at all? What if we're so caught up in the 'busy work' that we fail to see the opportunity for the 'eternal work'? This is where I found myself a few months ago. So 'busy' that I couldn't even tell if God was in it or not. But as soon as I pulled back from all the 'busy work', I could see clearly that I wasn't doing what God had called me to do. The devil likes to keep us busy. He likes for us to be distracted and overwhelmed with anything that mimics God's work and keeps us from God's 'eternal work'. We've all heard, "Just because it's good, doesn't mean it's God". Oh, how true it is!

Ask yourself this, when you take your hands off of your situation, do you see God in it? Are you too afraid to pull your hands back because of the fear that God won't be in it? Fear can be paralyzing. Remember, God did not give us a spirit of fear!

No comments: