Monday, August 16, 2010

Still thinking ...

I posted a few days ago about "Church People", and I have still been thinking about this a lot and I decided to post again along the same topic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I'm a strong Christian, therefore, I don't see the harm in secular music or less than wholesome movies every now and then. But, for the most part, my music is mainly Christian and Christ centered. The movies I watch are, and have always been, right in the PG rating. Maybe I don't see the harm in it because I'm not exposed to it fully. My heart and mind are very focused on and around Christ. I am trying to build a life for myself and family that points us in the direction of holiness, righteousness and all under the will of God.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People that know me well, know these things about me. But what about the people that don't? And what about the Christians that don't know the difference between *following RULES and following CHRIST. Does my occasional feast on Rock music hender the teaching of Jesus Christ? What about the simple fact that I have a deep love for music, art, and culture? Even though my preferred music taste is Christ centered doesn't mean I cannot be influenced by some of the greatest musicians in the world. Right?
  • We are to be different from the world (II Corinthians 5:17; Romans 6:4; 12:1,2).
  • We are to Shine as lights amidst the world's darkness (Matthew 5:14-16).
  • We are to walk worthy of God, as His ambassadors (II Corinthians 5:20; Epesians 5:8).
  • We are to live pleasing to God (I Thessalonians 4:1; II Thessalonians 1:11-2:17; Colossians 1:10)
  • We are to be examples to others in all things (I corinthians 4:13; I Timothy 4:12).
  • We are to be victorious in temptation and tribulation (Romans 12:12; Col. 1:11; James 1:2-4).
  • We are to be conspicuous for our humility (Ephesians 4:12; Colossians 3:13; I Peter 3:3,4).
  • We must appropriate divine power for the accomplishment of all God wants to make us, and desires us to be (Philippians 2:13; 3:21; II Peter 1:3).

These are passages I am and will be studying this week in order to get a better understanding of the fine line that comes with your faith, culture, and knowing the difference between being "religious" and being a Christ follower.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I've learned so far ...
---
Sometimes when we rebel against a certain style of teaching, we accidentally rebel against the truth that is being taught within that style. This is why we must always keep an open mind to change and growth in ourselves as we teach others.

No comments: