Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 8: Daniel fast and recipe

The fast is going great. I'm settling into a new routine with herbal (decaf) tea in the morning instead of coffee. And I'm feeling really good especially about no meat in my diet. Daniel and I have been talking- even before the fast- about cutting meat out. It just makes us feel bad. So I think the vegetarian part of this will stick with us. I'm making a lunch today that I love. I make it for my family all the time and now with the Daniel fast just a few changes and it's great!

Spiritually, I'm dealing with some great things that God has called to my attention. Just love how that happens. After a week, I'm learning how to keep focused on God and really plan my time in ways that are pleasing to Him. By just doing that, my time is used in much better ways. From this first week, I know I will implement the changes that are needed in my life right now. It's also a great way to start a new year. :)

Daniel is coming home from sea today and this is what I'm making for lunch!


Colorful Veggie and Tortilla Dinner

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup uncooked instant brown rice (sub- whole grain rice)
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (from 1 lb. bag thawed)
2 cans (14/5 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoons pepper
5 fat free flour tortillas (sub. whole grain tortilla)
1/4 cup fat free sour cream (omit)
chopped fresh cilantro
2 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, chopped (2/3 cup)


1. In 2-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling. Stir in rice; return to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and cook 5-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. (cook whole grain rice according to the bag)

2. Stir in thawed vegetables, stewed tomatoes, beans, 1/4 cup cilantro, the onion, cumin, coriander, garlic and pepper. Cook until hot.

3. Place warm tortillas on individual plates. Cover tortillas evenly with rice mixture. Top each with sour cream, chopped cilantro and tomatoes.

Depending on how far you wanna go with the seasonings ... I'm not using any. I think just the onion gives it great flavor. If my camera was working, I'd take a picture because it's a very colorful dish.

Enjoy.

No comments: